Sunday, November 4, 2007

On The Final Project...

I think I would like to design a unit for my final project in the class. It seems like the smartest use of my time since I could then use that unit, perhaps next semester.

Ideas:

1) Continue to develop my idea about a unit using pbwiki to have students in my creative expressions class group write a play about their own experiences as teen mothers in Minneapolis. This is expanding on a project I once ran at another high school, but in the original project I did all the work compiling and editing the script. The unit would center around having the students do that work on a wiki. I would use the same writing exercises before this unit and similar theater exercises after this unit.

2) A unit involving on-line role playing. I'm not really sure how to do this well. I was thinking perhaps the social studies teacher and I could set this up together so that we would have enough computers between us... Perhaps a debate between the two rooms where groups work together at each of the fourteen computers to create a character for the debate?

3) I think creating a unit that has students create their own podcasts would be super fun. Either in autobiographical documentary style, or perhaps modeled after old radio drama... I need to think about this one some more, but the ideas are churning around in my head.

2 comments:

Kronzer said...

Well, having worked with you at Broadway, I can see how your first idea could help take that project on an even more student-involved path.

Okay. Now that I'm on the posting page, I forgot your other two ideas. gimme a sec.

Kronzer said...

Okay, and the debate--yeah! It would also have the side benefit of helping them work on typing skills (in this day and age, a life skill).

Radio drama: kids love sound effects. Could they even MAKE their own sound effects? An excuse for boys to make funny sounds with their mouths? good times.