Sunday, September 30, 2007

On My Vlog...

I spent the day working on a vlog. I decided to try and make this assignment not only a learning experience, but also productive. I am going to make a short film about my classroom and post it onto my new classroom blog (a work in progress). That way parents can see what my classroom is all about even if they can't come to open-house.

I've got pictures, video footage, and I wrote a script. I had started to piece it all together in iMovie, when I realized I was desperately wanting a little background music. Nothing fancy, just a simple instrumental.

Of course, unless I was going to compose and record something myself (which wasn't going to happen) I don't actually have any music to which I own the copyright so that I might use it in a film that I will put on the internet. The film is non-commercial, but still I can't just use whatever song I want.

So, I went to Creative Commons, and spent a couple hours exploring their website. There I found a link to a related site called Jamendo. A site which host the music of artists who wish to publish their work under Creative Commons copyrights. It took me a while to figure out, and I had to install a piece of software called Azureus (a bit torrent download program -- although it does more than that, too) in order to get the music I wanted, but I have a song I can legally use in a movie I send out into the internet as long as I credit the original artist..

The song isn't exactly what I wanted, but its a simple little piece of instrumental elevator music that will do nicely for a background and give the whole piece a more polished feel.

I can't wait to get it done and post it for you all to see.

1 comment:

Kronzer said...

You, my friend, are so thorough, and so dedicated.

Rock on.