Monday, September 10, 2007

I recently went to MinnesotaStories to explore the uses of videoblogs. I was really impressed with how entertaining this site is. I have not spent a lot of time watching video on the Internet, but I was instantly pulled in by the bizarre and the beautiful within the videos on this site.

I have only lived in Minnesota for about four years, but the sense of community I felt watching these videos was tremendous. From the fantastic at MN’s state fair (which I recently attended for the first time) to the poignant at the 35W bridge collapse memorial service.

This website is a great community building site, made by and for Minnesotans. Also, it gives voice to elements of the Minnesota community that otherwise don’t get attention in more mainstream media. The video clips often have a playful feel about them, and seem to celebrate what it means to be a Minnesotan today.

Many of the videos are fairly well cut and edited, although they still have a homemade quality that helps, in part, give them their charm. Some of the clips have a more bootlegged feel to them, video footage taken from the audience at various events, for example. These clips, although low quality, have a gritty reality to them that I enjoyed.

Check out MinnesotaStories.

After thinking about vlogs, if I were to create one for this course, it would probably be related specifically to the content of the course. Perhaps I would make a demonstrational video on the positive effects of technology in the classroom, or on how I have used technology in my own class.

1 comment:

Chuck Olsen said...

On behalf of everyone who contributes to Minnesota Stories, thanks for your kind words!