Sunday, October 14, 2007

On using images as visual rehetoric...


I decided to make my Flickr side show an exploration of my own experiences of place. I've lived a lot of different places, and so I tried to find images that, according to my memories, communicate those places.

See if you can pick out: South Minneapolis, Roseville Minnesota, The San Fransisco Bay Area, Mobile Alabama, Newark New Jersey, suburban Northern California, small town Iowa, Portland Oregon, Port Arthur Texas, China's Jiangsu Province, Shanghai, or Dublin Ireland.

A visual exploration of place in my life.


One of my paras is already using Flickr with the students at my school. So, they've already got an idea of how it works, which is great for projects. We could use pictures for any number of projects, especially ones on blogs and wikis, since Flickr is so easy to link to.

As for this week's reading, I think the visual argument stuff is really cool. I already use pictures to get kids started on writing, but having them create their own visual argument would not only get them fired up, but also give them such a great new way to interact with and organize their own ideas. I'm excited to try this in class. I think it could inspire creative work, argumentative writing, even test prep for the BSTs and MCAs, actually.

1 comment:

Kronzer said...

I really like your slideshow. You've lived in really diverse places.

I like the idea of using photos to get kids excited about writing. I should use that; maybe for creative writing. Visuals, man.

Visual argument struck me, too. It's so important for kids to realize images are used on purpose to affect them.